There are a lot of different recipes for making Nanaimo Bars, this is the one I like the most. These non-baked, 3 layer bars are delicious! So I would recommend that you all go to the kitchen and make them NOW…yes I said NOW! You wont regret it AT ALL!
Let’s get started
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (110 g)
- 1/4 cup granulated white sugar (50 g)
- 1/3 gram unsweetened cocoa (30 g)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups digestive cookies crumbs (200 g) or graham crackers
- 1 cup coconut (65 g)
- 1/2 cup pecans (50 g) – I consider them optional since the bars come out great even without the pecans, so up to you!
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (56 g)
- 2-3 tbsp milk (or cream)
- 2 tbsp vanilla custard powder
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar (230 g)
- 115 g semi sweet chocolate
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter (14 g)
Let’s start from the bottom layer
In a pan melt the butter
Stir in sugar
and cocoa powder.
Beat an egg and gradually whisk it in and cook stirring constantly until the mixture thicken.
Remove from heat and add digestive cookies crumbs and chopped pecans,
….and vanilla extract, coconut.
Butter a 23 cm x 23 cm pan and press the mixture evenly. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 h.
For the middle layer beat the butter until smooth
Add milk, vanilla custard powder, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and mix all together. If necessary add more milk.
Spread the cream on the bottom layer and refrigerate for about 30-40 min.
Melt chocolate and butter and spread it over the filling. Refrigerate till chocolate has set.
Cut it into squares (you should get about 25 pieces) and enjoy this delicious treat!
One bar provides:
- Calories: 180 (from fat 97 )
- Fat: 10 g
- Carbohydrates: 20 g
- Protein: 1.5 g