From time to time I organize Kids Cooking Class here in Shanghai. It is a very fun way for kids to get to know different ingredients, how to use them and how to have fun with them. It is also a great opportunity for them to socialize with other kids while spending a few hours doing something different from just watching TV or playing video games.
Kids cooking class can be a great idea for an original birthday party. The kids get a chance to get a hands on cooking experience, decorate the finished product and be able to eat what they created.
Just a few weeks ago I had one class here in the Pudong kitchen of the Shanghai Cooking Workshop.
I made beforehand chocolate cupcakes and frosting to decorate them,
then I prepared the cookie dough and kept it in the fridge while waiting for the kids.
Once the kids arrived, I first had them wear aprons
and wash their hands
then we started decorating the cupcakes!
Each of them got a few, with a pastry bag filled with cream cheese frosting
and had lots of ingredients to use for decorating them: M&M, marshmallow miniature, sprinkles, blueberries, …
I first showed them how to apply the frosting on top of the cupcake
and apply the decorations
and then I let them play with it
helping where necessary!
It was a lot of fun! I had a lot of fun myself!
Look at what we made
We also made cookies
Oh boy, I love cooking with kids!
If you are in Shanghai and want your kids to take part to the next Kids Cooking Class, write to [email protected]
If, instead, you want to have a kids cooking party at your place, here are some useful tips:
1. Two weeks ahead send out invitations
2. Make a list of ingredients and utensils you will need:
- baking sheets
- mixing bowl
- teaspoon and tablespoon
- rolling pins
- actual recipe ingredients
- cookie cutters (if your going to make cookies)
3. Once you know the number of children coming, go through the list of things needed (utensils, bowls, rolling pins) and get all you need
4. Get aprons and chef hats, the children will love to wear one
5. On the day of event, line kitchen tables with plastic tablecloth and set table with cooking ingredients
6. Have a blast with the kids!